Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Santa story

One day last year, I woke up with a scene in my head of Santa Claus, and thought that the events leading up to that scene would make an interesting, if dark story. Today, I finally got some words down on it - 1,182 to be exact. As it's a short story and barely about a third of the way through its first draft, I decided not to post the work-in-progress. I may consider posting the final version when it's done.

This is the first thing I've written in a while, and it's largely due to having met with a coworker who also has an interest in writing. We decided to meet once a week to review each other's writing, and for a couple weeks, I coasted on the story I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2008, on which he gave very good feedback. Last week, he gave me an excerpt of a story he was visibly uncomfortable with sharing. I had nothing to offer in return and knew that my time of coasting was at an end. Thank goodness for that. I needed a good kick in the ass.

No comments: