Sunday, May 29, 2016

Signal to Noise - reading

Finished "Signal to Noise" by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I picked up this book from the library at lunch because it appeared on some random list on GoodReads. That, and the other books on the list were nowhere to be found. (Southglenn is a small library, but it's conveniently located near work.)

Page 260 says, "A bit jumbled. It needs some editing..." By the time I got to page 260 I had the same opinion. Granted, page 260 was talking about a book that is mentioned in the story, and I'm talking about the story itself. There were spelling errors, grammar errors, and sentences that were difficult to parse sprinkled throughout.

I wouldn't recommend this book. Lots of folks seem to have liked it a lot, but I thought it a waste of time. The main character starts with selfish motivations and goes nowhere from there. There are times when I can't tell which character is speaking, not because of formatting, but because the characters are barely distinguishable from each other. It does have an interesting premise. Someone should write a good story based on it!

No comments: