Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Finally Reading Again! The Girl in the Spider's Web - reading

I'm finally back to reading again, and it feels pretty good! My last entry was in September, and since then things have been pretty hectic, including finishing NaNoWriMo in November. But I'm trying to settle back into a routine that lets me do things I like to do.

Finished The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagerkrantz. It's a Lisbeth Salander novel, the fourth in the Millennium series, but it isn't. It's been a while since I read the Salander trilogy, so grain of salt here. I know I have a tendency to romanticize stories I like over time.

The story continues but isn't as compelling as the original trilogy. Maybe it's been too long since I read the other books but the characters seem to have lost some dimension in this next installment. Lisbeth is less survivalist, more trained. I guess she leveled up, but something got lost in the translation.

It does seem like they went out of their way to mimic Stieg Larsson's writing style. The problem with that is, the first three books needed an editor. I get why they didn't get one, and am happy I got the chance to read them despite that fact because they're so good. But when you have a living author, and more time, it seems like you might take some time to make the language fit better, to make the story compelling. David Lagerkrantz is a Swedish journalist and author, and seems like the perfect fit to continue the story.

I'd give this one three out of five stars, and I'm luke warm on picking up the next one.

No comments: