Tuesday, July 13, 2021

The Terror of Vestfold - reading

Finished "The Terror of Vestfold" by John E. Stump. This was listed as the favorite book of a coworker, so I decided to pick it up. What I found was a pretty smart story that was not at all what I expected based on the description on the cover. The author wrote about Norway in the year 873 AD, with some fantasy (I hope?) elements. 

It did take me a while to get through it thanks in part to travel and losing the book in the bottom of my backpack for a couple days. I would also say the book could really use an editor, or a new editor if it had one to start with. I found only a half dozen obvious typos, but where the book could really use a new set of eyes is in "showing, not telling" throughout. If I used star ratings, I'd give this one 3/5.

No comments: