Friday, October 31, 2008

Oct 31 writing prompt - "If there was ever a time to pray, this was it."

694 words in 13:30 (51 wpm)

I tried to take this one in a different direction than my previous attempts. I was getting a little wary of the pattern I developed in my writing. I don't think this one flows as well as some others I have done, but it did successfully break that pattern, I think.

If there was ever a time to pray, this was it. I opened my closet and put together the best costume I could out of the pieces I had assembled since I got into wearing costuming. I had an old hat I found at a garage sale. I had a jacket I bought at Good Will. I had the shirt from the suit I wore at my wedding, and the pants from my first interview. I had a vest that I don’t remember where it came from, and jewelry I collected from lots of different places, too many to name. It had all come together into the pirate outfit I am wearing as I now look at myself in the mirror.
“She just has to notice me,” I thought to myself as I admired my handiwork. An improvised eye patch completed my look, but I couldn’t drive with it down, so I flip it up and pull on my boots. Thank God I spent the money on the boots. They were so worth it.

I got into my car and drove to the party as quickly as I could without getting a ticket. There were lots of cars here, so a pretty good turnout for the party. I parked on the street and stepped out of my car. Nobody was outside, but I could hear noise coming from the back yard of the house where the party was.

I walked up to the door and nervously rang the door bell. After about ten seconds, a man opened the door. To my surprise, he was dressed in jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers. My mind raced to make sense of his costume, but struggled to even give him the benefit of the doubt.

“Hey!” he said. “Come on in.” He stepped back and revealed the rest of the room to me. She was sitting at a small folding table playing a card game with three other people. None of them was wearing a costume! I looked to the other side of the room and saw another three people in a small cluster, standing around with wine glasses in hand talking. Again, no costumes! She looked up from her card game and made eye contact with me. I felt time stop briefly, but the spell was broken when she put her hand to her mouth and tried in vain to stifle a giggle at my appearance.
My heart was in my throat and my mind raced, trying to remember the invitation. I could have sworn it was a costume party. Why else would I have taken the time to put this ensemble together? Oh my god – I’m the laughingstock!

I stepped hesitantly into the room, my eyes still on her. Taking a risk to defray my embarrassment, I said, “Isn’t this a costume party?” The whole room burst into laughter right away. She stood up and walked towards me.

“Yes,” she said. “Just look at the back yard!” She giggled, which I found to be irresistible. I took some effort to break my gaze from her and focus on the back yard. Everyone there was in costume. “We’re just the welcoming committee!” She laughed out loud now.

“Very clever,” I thought to myself. They kept a bunch of non-costume-wearing folks in the front room to make everyone who shows up think they got the invitation wrong!

I didn’t notice when the door closed, but the doorbell rang again. She took me by the hand and led me quickly out of the room so they could get ready for the next guest’s arrival. I found myself in the main bathroom with her, with the door closed. I couldn’t believe my luck! She put her finger to her lips to shush me. I mimicked her move with my hand, then took the bold step of taking her shushing hand in mine. Our eyes locked together and I leaned in. She leaned into my kiss, too. Fireworks went off in my brain as our lips met! She pulled me closer to her and our kiss lingered.

When the kiss finally broke, she looked up at me. “My name is Amanda.”

No comments: