Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Good Soldiers - reading

I find myself once again behind on posting about books, but only because I've been busy with other things. I started walking in the evenings as part of the "Global Corporate Challenge." I took a week vacation and went camping. The Monday I returned to work I presented my final project for a class. Thursday and Friday that week my employer held its second "Hackathon" in which you have about 24 hours to code up some project you want to work on. On Sunday I was on a plane to Florida for a week-long conference. It's been about two weeks since my return and I'm finally getting back to my long to-do list.

Finished "The Good Soldiers" by David Finkel. This tells the story of the 2-16 battalion and their time in Iraq during President Bush's "surge" strategy. The book is well written and well researched, combining first-hand reporting with after-action interviews with many soldiers and leaders of the battalion as they faced IEDs, exchanges of small-arms fire and the challenge of living in a war zone. It describes their injuries - both visible and invisible, and did so the telling of a poignant story. The story also includes what Wikileaks referred to as "Collateral Murder" in which a helicopter fired on two Reuters reporters and their group on the ground for holding a camera, resembling a weapon. It gives the reader a lot to think about. I recommend it strongly.

No comments: