Thursday, May 10, 2012

Catching up

I have finished making the smaller edits for Tunder's Year (which really needs a new title). All that remains now is to rewrite the ending, and work on a few places I identified that need bigger changes, such as turning a summary into a conversation, etc. I'm excited to be close to the end of a second draft. This is a first for me!

Finished "Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science" by Lawrence M. Krauss. No book about Feynman is complete without discussing his contributions to physics, very little of which I actually understand, but the author made that aspect of Feynman approachable, at least. Other than that, it was a good story about a great mathematician/physicist/explorer/drummer/playboy.

Finished "If You Ask Me" by Betty White. This was very much like catching up on Betty White's blog, if such a thing exists. It consisted of many short stories about widely varied topics. Cute, nonetheless.

I started "One Perfect Word" by Debbie Macomber. It was an interesting premise in which she would select a word and intentionally focus on that word for a whole year, applying it to her life. I was actually curious about which words she used and what process she used to select them, but when it became about how "God takes part in the choosing" and turned to the bible and faith, none of which was mentioned on the cover, I lost interest. I was hoping for something a little more intellectual.

Next up: William Gibson's "Distrust That Particular Flavor." This selection is unrelated to my impression of "One Perfect Word" - I picked both up from the library at the same time.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Love Feynmann. Glad you read him and about him. Actually, his stuff makes the reader feel she understands physics. Wish I really did.

Brett said...

I had to return the Gibson one to the library and didn't finish it. I'll revisit that one later, I suppose.