Tuesday, August 7, 2012

No Ordinary Joes - reading

Finished "No Ordinary Joes: The Extraordinary True Story of Four Submariners in War and Love and Life" by Larry Colton. This might as well have been a sequel to "The Worst Hard Time" (about the Great Depression) in that it tracked the lives of four sailors from growing up during the Great Depression - one of whom came from the area covered by the previous book - to joining the Navy and fighting in World War II. Their submarine was sunk by a torpedo dropped from a Japanese plane and the men were captured and taken as POWs to be held for two years, until the war ended. It then followed their lives as they returned home, grew old and, in some cases, died. I was torn between 4 and 5 stars as a rating, but I didn't want to put this one down until the end. Even then I did a bit of research on the ship and crew. Then I asked my mom about details about what my dad did while he was in the Navy since he's no longer around to tell me the stories.

No comments: