Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Extending NaNo 2013: December 17

I admit I've been avoiding writing for a while. I had a couple days of writing a little here and there, but it hasn't amounted to much. I wrote about 1,500 words today, though. The trouble is, the story seems to be getting bogged down trying to get to the climax, which is just around the corner.

Anyway, I'm just shy of 59,000 words today, which if you read the previous post is where I thought I would be at the end of the story. No such luck. Apparently some things needed a little time to develop. One such thing was a pretty big deal when I thought of it. I was walking from Staples back to the office when I realized a little detail that has to come out. The trouble is, getting that detail out is taking a long time.

I'm trying to get one of my characters to find a way to get a certain thing from another character. This would then get handed off and ultimately explained to the reader. She went about it poorly and now has to find a new strategy. She doesn't know it, yet, but the window of opportunity won't be open much longer.

After that's settled, then the rest of the events that are waiting in the wings can play out. Honestly I'm still not sure about the specifics of them, either, but historically I've been better about getting through that kind of block than I have been about getting through what's bogging me down now.

I was really hoping to have been done with the story almost two weeks ago, too.

No comments: