Monday, September 8, 2014

Sycamore - 48HFP Practice

Using the 48 Hour Film Project practice script generator, Jess and I did a full-scale practice for the 48 Hour Film Project. It involved getting the specifics at a set time, writing the script, shooting it, editing it, scoring it, and everything in between.

Here's what the generator gave us:
Your 48HFP Trial has the following specifics:
Name: Isaias (male)/Ivana (female) Heckler
Occupation: Soil Conservationist
Prop: washing machine
Line of Dialogue: I was wondering if you know anything that I should.
Genre: Fable


The script follows:


-----

INT. ISAIAS’ HOUSE - BEDROOM - DAWN

Isaias Heckler is getting ready for the day: turns off ringing ALARM CLOCK, gets out of BED wearing UNDERWEAR; brushes teeth;

ISAIAS:
(Looking into the mirror, disappointed with himself, toothbrush in mouth)
Greed makes you compromise.

Isaias gets his UNIFORM from the DRYER (next to WASHING MACHINE); gets dressed; puts WORKERS GLOVES in back pocket

INT. ISAIAS’ CAR - MORNING
Isaias gets into his HYBRID CAR, parked in his driveway.

ISAIAS:
(Looking in rear-view mirror)
Greed makes you compromise.

His CELL PHONE beeps as he receives a text.

CELL PHONE (ECU):
ADDRESS: 3434 Sycamore Lane.
Golden, CO 80401.
North East corner.

EXT. SYCAMORE LANE - DAY
Isaias stands in front of a large TREE with a CLIPBOARD in hand. He kneels in the dirt and picks some up letting it fall between his fingers. He pulls out his WORKERS GLOVES, puts them on and inspects the tree - runs his hands and fingers along the trunk.

TREE:
(Giggling)
That tickles!

ISAIAS:
(continues to run his fingers)
What about here?

TREE:
(Laughter)
Oh ho-ho stop. I can’t take it anymore.

Isaias stops tickling the tree. He looks up at the full branches.

ISAIAS:
How old are you? 70?

TREE:
(Mock offended)
Where is your bedside manner? I am 93 by human years. Would be just a child in my family’s eyes, if they still lived.

Isaias looks around the lot and further. Sees subdivisions and malls, various buildings and construction.

ISAIAS:
Yeah.

TREE:
(continuing)
Humans say, “She’s just a tree!”
They don’t realize what I see
I’ve been here for a century or two

There is wisdom in my glade
Take a seat here in my shade
It’s rare for man to hear me as you do

It was not that long ago
I grew up without a foe
One as young as you won’t believe it’s true

There were aspens, maples, pines.
Sometimes covered up with vines
Sunbathing, drinking in the morning dew

At first humans weren’t bad.
Stayed with us and made us glad.
We should have paid attention to the clue.

They tattooed our bark with names
Cut us down, burned us in flames
A shame our numbers now are far too few

You’re not like them, I can tell
Before I bid you farewell
Know this: Your heart will tell you what to do

ISAIAS:
I can’t deny what you say. Perhaps I should show my real talent today.

TREE:
You’re new to rhyming, aren’t you?

ISAIAS:
Yeah. Good thing that’s not my real talent.

TREE:
I was wondering if you know anything that I should.

ISAIAS:
I’m here to see about your future in this world.

TREE:
I’m fine with whatever you decide.


INT. BUILDERS OFFICE - AFTERNOON
Isaias walks into the office with his GLOVES still on. Builder is looking over some PAPERS and her PHONE.

BUILDER:
Are you Isaias Heckler?

ISAIAS:
At your service.

BUILDER:
I trust you have good news for me.

ISAIAS:
Good enough.

BUILDER:
Excellent. Come. Let us drink.

Builder gets up from her DESK. Isaias walks toward her. Builder pours two DRINKS and hands one to Isaias. Builder clinks GLASSES and drinks. Isaias does not drink. He puts his CLIPBOARD down on the desk, the drink next to it.

BUILDER:
Are the papers in order?

ISAIAS:
Nearly.

BUILDER:
Have them for me Monday and you will get your payment.

ISAIAS:
I don’t want to seem greedy, but you should really pay me half now.

BUILDER:
(Pauses to consider a moment)
I can agree to that.

Builder walks behind the DESK and grabs a BRIEFCASE.

BUILDER:
I was a bit worried, never having worked with you before.You soil conservationists are a bit picky, but you came highly recommended.

Isaias unravels a length of WIRE, securing it around his hands.

BUILDER:
For now, here is half in unmarked bills, as we arranged.

Builder crosses the room to stand in front of Isaias.

ISAIAS:
These trees are in distress.

BUILDER:
Yes, and I’m here to put them out of their misery, with shopping malls, and houses, and parking lots. There will still be green. Just a different kind of green.

ISAIAS:
Have you heard the story of the Bull and the Goat?

BUILDER:
Yes, yes, it shows an evil disposition to take advantage of a friend in distress. But you’re not in distress, are you?
(She proffers the BRIEFCASE OF MONEY)

ISAIAS:
No, but you are.

Isaias lunges forward, strangling the builder to death.

ISAIAS:
Hard to breathe, isn’t it?

Builder gasps and then dies.


All in all, it was not great. The script wasn't that good. The shots we got were not good, and the edit was noisy, choppy. But hey, it was a first attempt!

I would link to the video, but it's really just not good. Ask me again in a few years.

No comments: