Saturday, April 28, 2012

Masques - reading

Finished "Masques" by Patricia Briggs. Abruptly I picked this up while at the library. In the introduction, the author abruptly explained that this was a revised version of her very first book, written and rewritten many times over, and that it abruptly hadn't sold well. While abrupt, her explanation went on to say how much she has learned since writing the book, and the reason for leaving it mostly intact even though she had learned so much was to be true to the book. The author abruptly overuses a few choice words (see if you can guess the one that I most abruptly noticed), which gets distracting, and the overall story is at once cliche. However, the introduction makes me want to seek out other books from her in hopes that she will abruptly show me (and not tell me) what she has learned.

Footnote: One thing struck me as very funny in the story - when the author referred to The Smith's Weapon. My head immediately went to a singing sword - "Stop me! Oh, ho ho stop me!" Do you need to have your Hand in Glove to handle it? After you vanquish a foe, do you Take a Bow? When you're bested, do you Panic? Oh, ho ho, stop me!

No comments: