Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009 begins

I finally started working on the story yesterday. It's the same story I blogged about here in June. I'm actually surprised I was able to sit on it for that long. Hopefully that gave me enough time to come up with good ideas for the plot. We'll see.

Yesterday morning, I woke up just after 7, poured a bowl of cereal and made some tea. I checked email briefly, and started writing. It took me at least an hour, maybe 90 minutes, before I had 70 or so words written because I was coming up with names for my main character and supporting characters, doing a little last-minute research, and reviewing my outline. After that, I went headlong into chapter one. I posted my word count each time it rose significantly, so 70-ish, 140-ish, 380, 800, and so on. I finished the first two chapters of my outline and started on chapter three. My final word count for day one, posted at 11:57 PM (thank you for the extra hour, time change) was 5,499 words.

I did take a couple breaks during the day to grab food, run to the store and play Everquest with Ray - we did the Halloween-themed quests. We also got a visit from the landlord to fix a couple things around the house. I didn't do a lot of the things on my to-do list, like balance my checkbook, clean up my office or finish laundry. I didn't realize until Ray pointed it out that my pajama bottoms were hanging off the TV in my office while the landlord was here! (D'oh!) I put them there when I changed clothes in my office. I was trying to be nice and not wake Ray.

This morning, I woke up with a couple ideas for the story, so rather than open the story document and leave late for work, I emailed them to myself. I checked the NaNoWriMo site and found that since my last update, one of my writing buddies has about a thousand more words than I do. She had about a hundred fewer yesterday. I will have to remedy that! (Yes, I'm competitive that way sometimes.) I'm not sure when I will be able to write today, as I have to work, but I'm sure I will fit it in. I'll be at my old house tonight, which might help since there are fewer distractions there, but might be a hindrance because there is still work to be done there. I must find a balance.

Wee!

No comments: