Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Falling Awake - reading

Finished "Falling Awake" by Jayne Ann Krentz. I really did not like this one, for a lot of reasons.

First and foremost, it needed another editor to clean up the language and events. There was no normal dialogue among the characters. Everything seemed a little too scripted, too wooden, including the fully-qualified names for things, such as the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research. I swear if the name if the place were "The Honolulu Branch of the Pinkleton/Belvedere University Hospital Center for Sleep Research and Lucid Dream Control Development," the characters would have said the whole thing while talking to each other, despite the fact that both characters were familiar with the entity.

I got tired of hearing the need for "context." I know what context means. There has to be another way to say it. And while I can appreciate a pun, the "dream" and "nightmare" puns were a bit too thick for me. I kept wanting the story to end, but it dragged itself on and on beyond the point where I had any interest in what happens next. Particularly at the end, the author needed to return to a "show, don't tell" mantra. There was far too much telling.

Ultimately, the sense I got from it was that it was the first draft of some housewife's daydreaming fantasy put to paper.

No comments: