Thursday, November 11, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010 day 11

New words: 2,748 (kindof weak)
Total words: 31,489

I broke 30k words today. I discovered that going to a write-in and trying to write on my old, decrepit laptop is not at all effective. I barely pushed 1,000 words out in 2 1/2 hours because I wasted half an hour waiting for the laptop to get to the point where I could start. Also, I was distracted at this particular write-in (at a coffee shop in Longmont) and didn't feel like I could focus on writing. Lesson learned, I guess.

When I got home, I wrote nearly another 1,700 words, in part because I was very close to 30,000 and in part because I finally got through a scene that was really slowing me down. This took me a little over an hour.

When I came up with my outline, I divided the story into three sections or books. Book I is now done, keeping in mind that everything during NaNo is a first draft. There will be a set of assumptions that need to be made between Book I and Book II because I am not planning to spell everything out between those two points. I haven't started on Book II yet, apart from the outline and a couple ideas on what should happen at the start.

There is one monkey wrench in all this. During Book I, I introduced a character I wasn't expecting would be in the story. I have a few ideas of what is going to happen with her, but nothing is in the outline. That means I'm going to have to revise my outline soon.

After having written one of the action scenes in Book I, I get the sense that I may regret the direction I am taking the story, since more action is coming up. Then again, it's just practice, right? Right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't overthink it. Just keep pounding out the words. You can piece it all together in December!

BTW, any chance of writing a 1,000 word story for my flash fiction blog? Hmmm?

http://www.rosecitysisters.com/submit.html